Gailey Reservoirs lie close to the junction of the M6 motorway (J12) and the A5, in Staffordshire, grid refernce, SJ9310 . Like nearby Belvide, they are owned by British Waterways and although less well-watched, nevertheless form an important bird sanctuary in thier own right. One of the largest Heronries in the area is present on the island and the water hosts a multitude of wildfowl during Winter and also provides an attraction to many other groups of birds throughout the year. The site was formerly known as Gailey Pool.
The village of Gailey, on the A449, near the reservoir, is served by the 876 bus, from Woverhampton — Stafford. For further details, call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608.
Car parking is available on-site.
Visiting is by permit only — the site is not open to the public.
Permits are supplied free of charge to "inclusive" members of the West Midland Bird Club and allow all members of the permit holder's family resident at the holder's address to visit both Belvide and Gailey reservoirs (and also the Blithfield and Ladywalk reserves) either as a group or singly, and to escort up to two guests onto the site.
"Standard" members wishing to upgrade to "Inclusive" membership should contact our Membership Secretary.
For other individuals, combined permits to visit Belvide and Gailey can be obtained, on an individual basis.
Organised groups wishing to visit should contact our secretary.
Please note that:
Ornithology in Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire & the West Midlands county, since 1929.
Fetched fromon Monday 20 May 2013 22:19:09
( We remind you that these are other organisations' sites and that we accept no responsibility for their content)